Monastery of Sant Feliu de Guíxols
The first documents of this Monastery of the Benedictine order, appeared in the year 968 due to the concession that the king Lotari did to abbot Sunyer, to be able to reign, at the same time, the monasteries of Sant Pol de Mar and Sant Feliu de Guíxols.
The whole complex has suffered a few changes along the history. The gothic church is made of one nave with a transept and three polygonal apses and a roof of groined vaulting. A part of the aisle is Romanic with barrel vault.
The main façade has a Romanic style and it has been restored. It is surrounded by two towers with Roman bases, the Torre del Corn (the tower of Corn), with a rectangular floor and the Torre del Fum (the tower of smoke) with a semicircular floor.
It is the biggest bascule stone in Europe. It is located between Santa Cristina d’Aro and Sant Feliu de Guíxols.
It was inaugurated in 1833 between the old medieval city and the beach, and as the years went by, this wide city space, organized as an avenue with banana trees, it was filled with stately mansions that replaced the old medieval houses of the fishermen.
Casino La Constància
It is an Institution that is located in an Arab style and modern building, known under the name casino dels nois (casino of the boys). The building of the casino was built by the architect General Guitart in 1888.
La Casa Patxot
This house is located in Passeig del Mar Street (promenade). It is the house of the rich industry developer Rafael Patxot, which was built between 1917 and 1920 by the architect Albert Juan Torner. It is one of the richest, most luxurious and best preserved mansions of the city. During many years, the mansion kept an astronomic observatory of Mr. Patxot. Nowadays, you can find the Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Navigation of Sant Feliu de Guíxols.
Placed in the port of Sant Feliu the Guíxols, it used to be a castaway salvation point. It was constructed in the 19th Century and it is now considered a cultural asset and has been converted into the Marine Rescue Museum.
More info at wikipèdia.
At the same time that the city had more and more bourgeoisies dedicated to the cork industry, many mansions appeared in the most charming places of the city. Among these buildings, we find la Casa Albertí (Albertí´s house) (end of 19th Century), the Casa de la Campana (the house of the bell) (1911), la casa Gaziel (Gaziel´s house) (1880), la casa Girbau (Girbau´s house) (1910), la casa Maynegre (Maynegre´s house) (1898), la casa Maruny (Maruny´s house) (1909), la casa Pecher (Pecher´s house) (1894), la casa Ribot (Ribot´s house) (1904), la casa Sala (Sala´s house) (1904) or la casa Sibils (Sibils’ house) (1892).
Built in 1547, with sober shapes and a gothic and Renaissance style, the town hall of the city has survived to all the war destructions and to the property speculation. A tower was added to the current building in 1847.
The old train station
The last train station of the railway route from Sant Feliu de Guixols to Girona was built between 1889 and 1892 by the architects Rafael Coderch and Gabriel March, who gave the building a neoclassic industrial style. This train station was a symbol of progress during many years, and it was used until 1969, year in which the route closed.
Monastery of Santa Maria de Solius
On the 21st January 1967, after the Vatican Council II, a small group of monks coming from the Monastery of Poblet opened the Cistercian Monastery of Santa Maria de Solius in the quiet village of Solius, parish church of Girona, in Santa Cristina d’Aro (Costa Brava).
Daina´s cave is a big granite dolmen that was built between 2700 BC and 2200 BC in the outskirts of Romanyà de la Selva (Baix Empordà).
The megalithic area is protected by a cromlech as an external ring of 11 meters of diameter and it is made of large granite stones, a main corridor from east to west, a mound of earth and stones that are used as a support and the room of the center.
This route follows the way that long ago did the train called Carrilet, which traveled from Sant Feliu de Guíxols to Girona and from there to Olot. It is currently used as a path for walkers or bike lovers.
More info at: Vías verdes.
It is the way through which you’ll be able to move around the coast having a walk by the sea. It starts in Sant Feliu de Guíxols and ends up in Palamós. You can discover magnificent views of the Costa Brava just walking along Sant Pol’s bay, Sa Conca beach and a wide number of coves, points and unbelievable places.
Sant Elm’s hermitage
It was constructed over a fortification dated in the 13th Century. You can get there by car and enjoy incredible views over the Costa Brava from that point.
More info at: Wikipèdia.
Other interesting sites
Port Salvi, The history museum, the Toy museum, Sant Pol’s beach, Sa Conca beach, Jonca cove, Vigatà cove…